When there is a talk about engineering, aspirants usually look up to exams like JEE, BITSAT etc. What most aspirants neglect are other avenues to get admissions in the best engineering institutes of the country.
Are you looking to get in revered engineering colleges in India and land yourself in your dream job? Well, there are state examinations that can make things happen for you. One such exam is COMEDK.
A brief about the exam
The Consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka (COMEDK) is formed by the Karnataka Professional Colleges Foundation to provide a just and objective testing procedure to ascertain the merit of students seeking admissions to the member institutes.
COMEDK UGET is a state level common entrance test conducted to provide admissions in member institutes for the current academic year. Top engineering colleges that accept COMEDK scores are National Institute of Technology (Mysore), B.M.S. College of Engineering, PES University, Ramaiah University, Bangalore Institute of technology.
What does it take to be eligible for the exam?
Around 75000 aspirants look to COMEDK every year and earn a place in top institutes in Karnataka. Well, the eligibility criteria aren’t much different from the National level exams like the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE). Here are the specifics:
- Aspirants are required to pass 10+2 or 2nd PUC from a recognized board
- The compulsory subjects that an aspirant must have studied are Physics, Mathematics and English with one of the following optional subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Biotechnology.
- The minimum aggregate required to be eligible for the exam is 45% (40% for SC, ST and OBC candidates of Karnataka State in above-mentioned subjects).
The pattern of the exam
The COMEDK UGET is a computer-based test (online examination) which is consists of 3 sections. Here is the breakdown of the exam pattern:
- Aspirants will be given 3 hours to complete the paper.
- The three sections of the test are Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry.
- The paper contains a total of 180 questions, 60 questions each for Physics, Mathematics and
- The medium of the exam is English.
- Unlike most National level exam, in COMEDK there is no negative marking.
Important dates to keep in mind
If you are looking to attempt COMEDK, you need to keep an eye on the important dates of the exam. Here are the tentative dates for you to mark the calendar and watch out for official notifications:
|Online application for COMEDK UGET Starts||2nd week of January 2019|
|Online application for COMEDK UGET Ends||3rd Week of April 2019|
|Availability of Admit Card||1st Week of May 2019|
|COMEDK UGET Exam Date||2nd Week of May 2019|
|Answer Key Release||3rd Week of May 2019|
|Result Announcements||4th Week of May 2019|
Syllabus and Fees
The syllabus for COMEDK UGET includes topics covered in class 12/2nd PUC of the central boards such as CBSE, ISC and state boards.
Here is the fee that you need to pay:
|General/OBC/SC/ST/PWD||Rs 1300 +18% GST (Convenience charge/fee as applicable)|
Key things to remember
While applying for the COMEDK on the official website, here are few things to keep in mind:
- While applying fill in the details carefully as once furbished will not be allowed to be changed.
- Keep the Admit Card handy even after the exam, as that is a key document that needs to be furnished during the counseling Yes, there will be a counseling process too.
About the counseling process
To get admission in the best engineering colleges in Karnataka, besides COMEDK scores there will be a centralized counseling process to allot seats to the aspirants. The counseling is conducted in offline mode in Bangalore.
Preparing for the exam
Like any other engineering entrance test, preparing for COMEDK is about understanding concepts and putting it to practice by solving previous year’s papers and mock tests. Get started now to cover the syllabus in entirety and practice in a way that will give you an edge over the others.