Nowadays, the competition to be the best is not just restricted to the students but colleges are also in the race. For students there are exams to evaluate them but how to decide which particular college or university is best among thousands of claims? There are authorities that conduct a survey and evaluate these claims through various parameters and one such authority is QS World University Rankings which is an annual publication for university rankings by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS). The QS Rankings 2019 listed IIT Bombay as the top university of India for the ranking year.
Interesting facts about IIT Bombay:
- Established in 1958, IIT Bombay was one of the first institutes to be formed with the assistance of UNESCO and the Soviet Union (Russia)
- In the last 56 years since its formation, more than 40,000 students have been qualified as engineers and research scholars from the institute
- In the first batch of IIT Bombay, which was started in Synthetic and Art Silk Mills Research Association (SASMIRA), there were only 100 students.
Are you Eligible for IIT Bombay?
As expected, the path to get into the best university in India is not easy and the candidate needs to be exceptionally hardworking to get admission in IIT Bombay. Other than hard work, the candidate needs to fulfill the basic eligibility criteria. The admission procedure of IIT Bombay is no different than other IITs of the country. Aspirants had to go through stages of JEE Main, JEE Advanced, and respective IIT’s Selection Procedure.
The entire admission process of IIT Bombay can be divided into 3 steps:
Step 1: JEE Main
The first step to take admission in any of the IIT for B.Tech courses is to qualify for JEE Main.
Quick fact about JEE Main: Every year more than 10 lakh students appear for JEE Main with only one dream to get into one of the top IITs of India.
To appear for JEE Main, the candidate needs to fulfill the following criteria:
- Candidates appearing should be born after October 1, 1994, are eligible to apply. For candidates falling under the reserved category have a relaxation of 5 years.
- Candidates need to qualify class 12th examination with a minimum of 75% marks (70% for reserved category) or should be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th board examination.
Step 2: JEE Advanced:
Once the candidate qualifies for the JEE Main he or she is only halfway through the race to get in top university of India, the next and probably the most challenging one is making a spot in JEE Advanced, only that will ensure a seat in IIT Bombay.
Quick fact about JEE Advanced: In the year 2018 a total of 2, 31 024 students have qualified for the entrance examination of JEE Main, however, out of that only 1, 64, 822 students were registered for the JEE Advanced 2018.
Who can appear for JEE Advanced?
One and only criteria to appear for JEE Advanced is to clear JEE Main and rank in the top 2, 24,000 including all the categories. Here is a list of total number of students who will be selected under various categories:
|OBC and Non-Creamy Layer (NCL)||57,456||60,480|
|OBC, NCL, and PwD||3,024|
|Open and PwD||5,656|
|ST and PwD||840|
|SC and PwD||1,680|
|Total Number of Students||2,24,000|
Who are not eligible for JEE Advanced?
- Candidates who are already pursuing any undergraduate course in any of the IITs or ISM.
- Also, candidates whose admission is already canceled from any of the IIT or ISM.
- Candidates who appeared for counseling the previous year and booked a seat in any of the IIT and ISM but had not taken admission.
Step 3: IIT Bombay Selection Procedure:
The candidates who managed to be in the top 100 in the result of JEE Advanced have a very strong chance to get into the desired course of IIT Bombay. The toppers of JEE Advanced are offered Computer Science Engineering at the institute. Here is the previous year cutoff of IIT Bombay:
|Stream Name||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|Computer Science Engineering||1||62|
From the above facts and data, it is very evident that the path which leads to the engineering course of the top University of India is not all roses, only the best of the best get to be in the institute. Candidates need to put in a lot of effort and be consistently good in all steps to be a part of the institution as the competition is getting tougher and even fractions count when it comes to taking admission in IIT Bombay.