Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) is set to begin its intake on 21st of May for the 5-year Bachelor of Science – Master of Science (BS-MS) Programme 2018. The admissions will be now open (as on 21st of May) to the candidates who have applied from the KVPY channel and later will be opened for the rest of the categories.
IISER is an autonomous institute under Ministry of Human Resource Development (Government of India). The BS-MS programme, which is a 5-year degree programme, is for students who have excelled in science subject and are looking further to achieve greater heights.
The programme offered by IISER is an integrated program which encourages intensive research activities and gives the students an opportunity to take a stride in multidisciplinary fields. This is how the programme works:
- In the first 2 years: Basic sciences and core concepts.
- In the next 2 years: Specialization.
- Last year: Project, which is research-based.
All applicants should be of Indian nationality and must have passed standard 12th in 2017 or 2018 with science stream. Applicants who belong to Person of Indian Origin (PIO) and Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) category too are eligible to apply for admissions in IISER programme.
Admission channels and criteria:
IISER admissions are made under 3 channels viz a viz KVPY, JEE and SCB.
- KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana): For the 2018-19 academic session, the applicants with valid KVPY fellowship are eligible.
- JEE (Joint Entrance Examination): All the applicants who have ranked within 10,000 (General) and those who have category rank within 10,000 in JEE Advanced 2018 are eligible to apply.
- SCB (State and Central Boards): Aspirants who have cleared 12th standard (with science stream) fulfilling the cut off requirements of their respective boards for both general and category candidates. If the candidates meet the cut off criteria then they have to apply through IISER aptitude test (IAT) to qualify for admissions.
50% of the seats in IISER are reserved for applicants through KVPY and JEE and the remaining 50% are reserved for applicants from the SCB channel. Applications for each channel can be done separately online in the IISER portal.
KVPY channel: Application submission to begin on 21st of May (9 a.m.) to 12th of June (12 p.m.). The final candidates’ list will be published on 13th of June.
JEE Channel: JEE Advanced 2018 results will be declared on 10th of June and application process of IISER for this channel will begin on 11th of June (9 a.m.) and end on 21st of June (12 p.m.).
SCB Channel: Application submission to begin on 24th of May (9 a.m.) to 12th of June (12 p.m.). The IAT admit cards will be available for the qualified candidates on 18th of June. The Aptitude test will be held on 24th of June and results for the same will be declared on 3rd of July.
General and OBCNC category: Rs. 2,000 and for other categories like SC, ST, Physically Handicapped and Kashmiri Migrants it is Rs. 1000.
Availability of seats:
The total number of available seats in IISER for the BS-MS programme is 1300, which is spread across different branches of the institute: Bhopal: 250, Berhampur: 100, Kolkata: 200, Pune: 200, Mohali: 200, Thiruvananthapuram: 200 and Tirupati: 150.
KVPY scholarship or any other student scholarship will be continued on the basis of their academic performance.