Are you tired of giving exams and not getting the desired results? You might feel that you have put in a lot of hard work but do you know how much of it is productive? It is not about the amount of time you have invested but how much of it is quality study time.
The trick of knocking an exam out of the park is time management devoid of any distractions. If you are aspiring for the most competitive exams like JEE or BITSAT than making the most of day hours is undisputable.
The only thing preventing you from making the most of the day is Distractions!
How can it hamper you?
Distractions can come in many forms. Some are caused by others and some by you.
Some common distractions caused by others:
- Friends, girlfriends or boyfriends calling you to watch a new movie, play the new game or relationships.
- Parents interrupting you with food and advice.
- Neighbors and relatives interrupting you with questions like: ‘How are you JEE preparations coming along?’ and ‘Do you know Sharamji’s son is going to XYZ coaching center’
Some common distractions caused by you and some situations:
- Mobile phones: Everything at your fingertips but million ways to get distracted.
- Television: The T.V series that you can’t miss.
- Social Media: Is your crush still online? Or Are people waiting for your valuable opinion?
- Daydreaming: We all do that! Can’t help it.
- Excessive sleeping: Who doesn’t like that?
So, how do you fight distractions?
Let’s take this step by step.
- Know why: To solve any problem it is important to know what ails you. Either you are not interested or are interested in something else. You need to figure out the ‘why’ and then comes the next step of what can be done.
- Fight the urge of your other interests: Yes, checking our phones have become our second nature. A day doesn’t start if you don’t peak at your phone first thing in the morning. If you are one of the selfie people or have to urge to constantly updating people or can’t stop yourself on clicking the suggested videos, you have to do away with this craze ASAP.
Use of social media can be constructive too. There are online portals and communities which helps you in your exam preparations and yes, they do exist. The internet is a treasure trove of information and how you use it will depend on you.
- Keep away from multi-tasking: You might think that you are good at it but trust us when we say that it can be very distracting. When it’s exam time, just prepare for it and not take up any other work like bringing vegetables or milk. Don’t focus on multiple topics too, focus on one and try to finish that first.
- Clear your mind: For most students, study-time means dreaming about vacations, the best cars, latest fashion trends and what your friends are doing. Avoiding these thoughts can be tricky and hard. So, what do you do? Think about how it impacts your life in the long run, note down the thoughts, take a hard look at it and convince yourself that you can have all those things when you succeed.
- Distract yourself: Confused? Yes, this is the best advice we can come up with. How does it work? Whenever you feel that you are getting distracted, then distract yourself and prevent those thoughts from coming to you.
|Take Free JEE Mock Test|
Creating a distraction-free study environment is the best way to begin preparations for an exam. Don’t give into momentary thoughts & delights and because of it sacrifice a lifetime of opportunity.