Why do we need food? To stay alive. Why do we need healthy food? To keep our mind and body fit to carry out day-to-day activities efficiently.
Today, Junk/Fast food is the most preferred by the young generation and is easily available everywhere. Ordering food has become so easy with the introduction of various online food service providers. Students easily get tempted to order anything of their liking with a few taps on their phone.
For students, being healthy is imperative as they devote their maximum time to studies. As parents, it becomes equally important to keep a check on your child’s food habits and provide them healthy food. Instilling good/healthy food habits in your child is one of your vital responsibilities.
It’s not trouble-free for parents as students these days are demanding as far as their food habits are concerned. Making them understand the value of healthy food is a big task.
We have listed down 5 tricks through which you can make sure that your child creates a healthy food habit and stick to it:
- Healthier Alternatives – Healthy food seems ‘boring’ to children as it is all about green salads, non-oily vegetables, and non-spicy ingredients. The best option to convert this boredom into fun is by giving them home-made ‘fast’ food. You can always make them a pizza at home by using fresh flour and unprocessed ingredients to satisfy their craving. This way, your child will be eating healthy and as per their choice.
- Eat Together – This is a vitally important way to help your child learn good food habits. Try to eat meals together as a family as much as possible. During your meals, keep the conversation positive and teach your child the importance of healthy food, simultaneously. It will help your child understand the nutritious value of eating healthy.
- Increase Fruit Intake: Fruits should be an essential part of your child’s diet. Fruits contain a range of nutrients and health benefits for the body. Provide your child with fresh raw fruits; they are better than consuming fruit juice. You can prepare ‘fruit chaat’ as well, it goes really for the taste buds. It definitely curbs fast-food yearning.
- Make Them Cheat: It’s next to impossible to expect your child to totally cut-down on junk food. As it’s readily available at every nook and corner, you can’t even figure out if your child goes for a walk and comes back after consuming junk from anywhere. Therefore, talk to them and convey that they can have their desired food once a week. In this way, your child will not feel restricted and will be able to satisfy their craving.
- Take Them Out For Grocery Shopping: Encourage your child to accompany you for regular vegetable and grocery shopping. Make them aware of the nutritional value of the vegetables you buy! This will increase their knowledge of vegetables and also boost their interest in them. Guide them in the kitchen too while preparing the vegetables, this would further strengthen their relationship with good food.
Barring these tricks, you should also encourage your child to indulge in physical activities. It helps them focus better and help them concentrate better. You can check out 5 tips to improve your concentration.
Healthy food habits and enjoyment can go together if you are willing to make it happen. Eating healthy is directly proportional to better results in studies. Help your child in making a few changes in their eating habits, which would allow them to go a long way and flourish in their studies.