National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) is a national-level scholarship program which was introduced by NCERT at the secondary school level in 1963. While it was initially started only for the students of Delhi, today NTSE is the most prestigious national-level scholarship exam.
NTSE is conducted in two stages for the students of class 10. Every year, 1000 scholarships are awarded out of which 250 are reserved for SC, ST and physically challenged students.
An initiative to identify and promote academic talent, it is considered as one of the toughest exams held across India at the high-school level.
It is a matter of honour and repute to hold the title of an ‘NTSE Scholar’. The first step towards this incredible achievement is to gather the most efficient and essential books with which you can take your first step towards success.
Subjects you need to prepare:
NTSE Stage 1: SAT (Social science, Science, Maths and English) and MAT (Logical Reasoning)
NTSE Stage 2: SAT (Social science, Science, Maths) and MAT (Logical Reasoning)
Books for NTSE:
Although it is often said that course books are enough to prepare for NTSE but merely going through them is not enough to ace the exam. Going through the efficient and comprehensive study material to prepare will help in attaining an edge over the competitors.
MAT(Mental Ability Test)
The best way to build your preparation for the Mental Ability section is to practice as much as you can. To make sure that you are practicing enough to build your speed and accuracy, set a designated time on your daily schedule. The quant-based questions especially need a lot of preparation and effort.
Tata McGraw Hill – A complete comprehensive guide for NTSE
R.S. Aggarwal – Logical Reasoning – Book for preparing Mental ability with detailed solutions
SAT (Scholastic Ability Test)
Maths – While learning and practicing concepts and questions for mathematics, try and aim for questions that qualify as HOTS (higher order thinking skills). This will help build your base and practice will make it stronger
Science – Out of Physics, Chemistry and Biology, first identify the subject you are least comfortable with. Begin with the subject that will be most time-consuming.
Social Science – Studying social science will help you the most as the NTSE exam syllabus and the board exams syllabus are same. However, this will take a lot of time as social science is a theoretical subject
NCERT or State Board books
For solving mock tests and previous year papers
You can refer to:
NTSE Explorer : MAT + SAT + New English Language Test for Class 10th (2013 – 14 Solved Paper) (English)
Solving mock papers is the most crucial aspect of NTSE preparation. Do take mock tests regularly and don’t forget to do the paper analysis after that.
If done with these, there are some other good comprehensive books for NTSE also: Arihant, S.Chand, Upkar, Bright, Brilliant target.
More about NTSE
NTSE is conducted in two stages, Stage-1 and Stage-2, the details of which are mentioned below.
- It is conducted at the state or union territory level.
- Candidates can apply for the first stage from their respective states.
- Results are announced separately for different states and union territories.
- Candidates must score a minimum of 10 marks each in MAT, SAT and Language Paper to qualify for NTSE Stage-2.
- About 4000 students qualify Stage-1 who then become eligible to participate in Stage-2.
|Know All About NTSE Exam|
- It is conducted at the national level.
- Candidates who qualify Stage-1 can appear for Stage-2 exam.
- Questions are not asked from the language section in this paper. There are 100 questions each from MAT as well as SAT.
- Candidate must score well individually in SAT and MAT to qualify Stage-2.
- Top 1000 candidates who qualify Stage-2 will be given the prestigious NTSE scholarships.